Category Archives: Barcelona News

In the PSG interest report, Barcelona’s Neymar self-confidence is still very happy

Barcelona are confident that Neymar remains happy at the Camp Nou amid reports that Paris Saint-Germain are triggering the Brazilian’s release clause.

Spanish outlet AS reported on Monday that PSG are ready to pay €222 million — double the world-record transfer — to sign Neymar, if the player would agree to move to France.

Reports say PSG are circling around Neymar, but Barcelona remain sure the Brazilian will ignore the chance to leave.

 
Meanwhile, Diario Sport reported that Neymar was growing “uncomfortable” at getting second billing behind Lionel Messi at Barcelona.

But club spokesperson Josep Vives said the club were unworried when asked if there any concerns Neymar would opt to leave Barcelona this summer.

“The only thing we care is he keeps being happy here,” Vives said at a news conference for Barcelona’s financial report. “He played a magnificent season and he is still one of the best in the world.

“He is happy in the club and the club is happy with him. He verbalises it and he shows it with his attitude. We are relaxed about that and we only hope next season is better than the last one.

“Neymar’s departure is not in club’s imagination; the club just thinks of keeping the best players like him, one of our main symbols.”

Earlier on Monday, Barcelona sporting director Robert Fernandez rejected the possibility that any team would be willing to pay the clause to trigger Neymar’s release.

“That’s not going to happen,” he said when asked if he could imagine Barca without Neymar. “We have not had any offers for any player in our squad and no club will pay the release clause.”

At the club’s financial meeting, Barcelona announced record revenues of €708m for the 2016-17 financial year, up €13m beyond projections and €29m from the previous year.

Barcelona reported an after-tax profit of €18m while reducing debt by €24.5m to €247m.

Barcelona deals with Benjamin’s right-winger Nelson Semedo

Barcelona have reached an agreement to sign Benfica right-back Nelson Semedo, the club confirmed on Thursday.

Nelson Semedo had previously agreed to personal terms with Barcelona.
Sporting director Robert Fernandez and board member Javier Bordas were among a delegation which flew to Portugal on Thursday to finalise a transfer which sources told ESPN FC could reach €35 million with variables.

Semedo, 23, had already reached an agreement with Barca over personal terms and will undergo a medical in the Catalan city on Friday.

Having chosen not to replace Dani Alves when he left for Juventus last year, sticking with Sergi Roberto and Aleix Vidal, Barca had targeted Arsenal’s Hector Bellerin earlier this summer.

Bellerin himself admitted Barca’s interest made him happy, but he will not be re-joining his former club due to Arsenal’s reluctance to sell.

In addition, those in charge of the club’s transfer activity — Fernandez, Bordas, Ernesto Valverde, Pep Segura and Raul Sanllehi — were not in complete agreement over a move for the Spain international.

Instead, they pushed on with their interest in Portuguese international Semedo, who joined Benfica from Sintrense in 2012 but has only established himself as a regular in Rui Vitoria’s side during the last 18 months.

In that time he has made his debut for Portugal and was part of the squad which came third at this summer’s Confederation’s Cup in Russia.

Semedo, who is represented by Jorge Mendes’ agency Gestifute, becomes Barca’s third signing of the summer, following the decision to sign Marlon Santos on a permanent basis and promote him to the first team and the return of Gerard Deulofeu from Everton in a €12 million deal.

Speaking on Thursday, president Josep Maria Bartomeu said that the club were still looking to make “two or three signings” from elsewhere.

With the right-back position sorted, Barca’s priority is now finding a new central midfielder, with Paris Saint-Germain’s Marco Verratti, Guangzhou Evergrande’s Paulinho and Santos’ Lucas Lima all targets.

Lionel Messi, Neymar, Luis Suarez are included in the US tour line in Barcelona

Barcelona will bring its top three stars of Lionel Messi, Neymar and Luis Suarez to the United States for the International Champions Cup, tournament organisers announced on Tuesday.

The Catalan club arrive in the U.S. next week ahead of their three games against Juventus, Manchester United and Real Madrid.

Besides the three star forwards, the team will also include the likes of Andres Iniesta, Gerard Pique and Ivan Rakitic.

However, Barca will be without goalkeeper Marc-Andre ter Stegen and midfielder Andre Gomes, who both are given time off after playing at the Confederations Cup.

The full squad:

Goalkeepers: Jasper Cillessen, Adrian Ortola

Defenders: Gerard Pique, Jordi Alba, Lucas Digne, Samuel Umtiti, Aleix Vidal, Marlon Santos, Douglas, Thomas Vermaelen, Marc Cucurella, Sergi Palencia

Midfielders: Sergio Busquets, Javier Mascherano, Andres Iniesta, Ivan Rakitic, Rafinha, Arda Turan, Denis Suarez, Sergi Roberto, Sergi Samper, Carles Alena

Forwards: Lionel Messi, Neymar, Luis Suarez, Paco Alcacer, Munir El Haddadi, Gerard Deulofeu